Yes, we are writing about the handsome member of the defunct boy-band group 1-direction. Harry Styles is an accomplished English singer, songwriter, and actor with many accolades to his name.
Check this out:
This stylish artist who also doubles as the first man to appear solo on the cover of Vogue magazine has award wins, such as two Brit Awards, a Grammy Award, an Ivor Novello Award, among others under his belt.
And you will be learning just how to sing like Harry Styles in this post.
Shall we get the show started?
First of all:
How Did Harry Styles Become A Professional Singer?
The first-ever song Harry recorded after his grandfather gifted him with a karaoke machine was a cover of the legendary Elvis Presley’s “The Girl Of My Best Friend”.
He recorded so many other covers. During his time in high school, he was the lead singer for the band White Eskimo. The band won a local Battle of the Bands competition.
Upon his mother’s advice, he auditioned as a solo artist at the popular singing competition The X Factor.
It gest interesting here:
Although he didn’t win the competition, he and four other contestants were put in the same group during the Bootcamp stage of the competition and this led to the formation of one of the most successful bands in history, One Direction.
After 1-D went on an indefinite break, Harry resumed his career as a solo artist and since then, his efforts have birthed success for him. He launched his own record label, Erskine Records around this time too.
He debuted as an actor the same year he dropped his self-entitled album which went to peak on many music charts around the world.
A Detailed Guide On How To Sing Like Harry Styles
Improve your vocal range
After Harry resumed his solo career, his vocal range improved by two whole octaves. This enabled him to conveniently sing diverse genres, such as pop, pop-rock, indie, folk, soul.
By improving your vocal range, your voice potentially has more power, timbre, and quality.
Does the idea of that alone not excite you?
Follow these steps to develop your vocal range further.
- Know your current vocal range.
If you realize there is room for improvement after analyzing your present rage, you should proceed thus.
- Improve your breathing support
Breathing technique has so much influence on your vocals. It’s bad to breathe with your throat, learn how to breathe with the aid of your diaphragm.
Diaphragmatic breathing helps you to last longer on sustained notes. It also affords your voice more power. It also helps to relieve muscular tension and keeps the larynx in a relaxed state.
- Gradually warm-up
You will find it quite helpful to warm up and down your voice before singing. It helps to prevent your voice from getting injured, strained, or damaged. This is a precaution you must take if you desire to belt the melodious tunes Harry is famous for.
Among other things you should do are:
- Sing in the right posture
- From time to time, exercise your voice.
Hire a vocal coach
A vocal coach offers you a clear pathway to refining your vocal skills with minimal hassle. This is why Harry Styles also signed with the world-renowned vocal coach, Ron Andersen in 2016, and it’s apparent he has greatly benefited from making that investment.
Before his time with Ron, Harry Styles struggled with breath support and voice straining.
All of these issues have been resolved and his renditions are always flawless each time he performs.
By the way:
Don’t you want the same for yourself?
If you really want to uncover the secrets of how to sing like Harry Styles, then the mixed voice is a concept you can’t afford to treat as insignificant.
Mastering the use of mixed voice helps you to smoothen the transition between your voices by splitting both head and chest voices.
You should develop both your chest and nasal resonance. Master how to switch between both smoothly.
Practice, Record, and Review
There is no way you would grasp the concepts, techniques, and skills employed by Harry Styles in his songs if you skip this part.
While practicing, ensure you engage in vocal exercises and warm-ups.
There is equally the need to be strategic about it. You can do one-off long hours of practice. It is ineffectual.
Set aside a couple of minutes every day to practice the techniques you have learned from listening to Harry Style’s songs or watching his performances.
Rinse and repeat!
So, what are the top Harry Styles songs to practice?
Top Harry Styles Songs Anyone Would Want To Practice
- Sweet Creature: Here, Harry Styles speaks about someone he loves. It’s a song on his self-entitled 2017 studio debut Album called “Harry”. The song has been compared with the Beatles’ track, Blackbird.
- Watermelon Sugar: this track was inspired by the American novel, In Watermelon Sugar. It was co-written alongside Mitch Rowland, Tyler Johnson, and Kid Harpoon.
- Sign of the times: This was Harry’s debut single after he resumed his solo career. According to Harry, The song is written from a point of view as if a mother was giving birth to a child and there’s a complication. The mother is told, ‘The child is fine, but you’re not going to make it.’ The mother has five minutes to tell the child, ‘Go forth and conquer’.
What Is Harry Styles’ Vocal Range?
Ever since Harry pitched with Ron Anderson, his vocal range has expanded 2 octaves and 4 notes (A2 – E♭5) to THREE octaves, 4 notes & a semi-tone (D2 – B♭5).
He flexed his highest notes in the song “Pretty High” where he reached C5. Although, he is more comfortable in his mid-range.
Interesting Facts About Harry Styles
- Harry Styles made his movie debut in “Dunkirk,” a war drama. The movie won 3 Oscar Awards.
- In 2012, the musician and his fellow One Direction bandmates guest-starred on the Nickelodeon show “iCarly” on an episode called “iGo One Direction
- Harry claims he suggested the name, One Direction, for the band.
- Styles was featured on the front of the 2020 December issue of Vogue, making him the first man to appear solo on the cover of the magazine.
- Styles’ favourite album is Astral Weeks by Northern Irish musician Van Morrison, which he called “completely perfect”
Harry Styles is a force to be appreciated in the music scene. Not only because of his handsome looks but because of how he embodies the expression of music both with his vocals and body language.
Go ahead and put into practice what you have learned from how to sing like Harry Styles and watch your vocals blossom into new heights.